- not-available-yet (2,915), dpl (452), General Fiction (422), Police/Detective (339), Historical Fiction (280), Cozy Mystery (260), Fantasy (209), gcl (172), Audiobook (162), Science Fiction (148), Historical Mystery (101), spl (86), Thriller (84), Romantic Suspense (83), Young Adult (78), maine (77), General History of Europe (75), Biography (70), Classics (64), Juvenile Literature (63), Series Romance (58), Mystery (57), Criminology (50), Suspense (46), Short Stories (31), Food & drink (28), Food and Drink (28), General History of North America - United States (27), History of Europe (27), Paranormal Romance (21), Steampunk (17), Geography and Travel (17), English and Old English literatures: English fiction (17), Graphic Novels (16), Historical Romance (16), Contemporary Romance (15), netldc (14), English Fiction (13), American Literature in English: American fiction in English (13), World History (12), Reading (12), use of other information media (12), Promotion of Health (11), History of North America - United States (11), Athletic & outdoor sports & games (10), Essays (9), The Book (8), History of Ancient World (8), General History of Asia - Southeast Asia (8), insignia (8), General History of Europe - British Isles (8), North America (8), Bible (8), History of Ancient World - Egypt (8), returned-unread (7), Reading & use of other information media (7), Other social problems & services (7), Classic Juvenile Literature (7), Horror (6), Christian experience (6), General History of Europe - England & Wales (6), Anthology (6), Diseases (6), Juvenile Fiction (6), Europe (6), Paranormal Fiction (6), Ancient World (6), life (6), Bibliographies (6), Devotional Literature (6), practice (6), French Fiction (5), Incidence & prevention of disease (5), Social welfare problems & services (5), English Poetry (5), English & Old English Literatures (5), Kindle (5), Genealogy (5), English & OId English literatures (5), English Drama (5), Law (5), Music (5), Miscellaneous Writings (5), Other areas (5), American Fiction in English (5), Social Groups (4), General History of Asia - China & adjacent areas (4), French and related literatures: French fiction (4), Food & Drink (4), Christian theology (4), Military Science (4), Vocal Music (4), Internal Commerce (Domestic Trade) (4), Public performances (4), American Literature in English (4), Asia (4), General History of North America - Canada (4), History (4), persons treatment (4), General History of North America - Western United States (4), Culture & institutions (4), Historical (4), American fiction in English (4), Education (4), Antarctica (3), General History of Africa - Central Africa & offshore islands (3), German Fiction (3), Personal Health & Safety (3), Anthology - Romance (3), journalism (3), General History of Africa (3), Anthology - Romantic Suspense (3), Geography & Travel (3), Financial Economics (3), English miscellaneous writings (3), News media (3), History of Europe: Germany and neighboring central European countries (3), Political Science: International Relations (3), Personal Health and Safety (3), Atlantic Ocean islands (3), Pacific Ocean islands (3), Rhetoric & collections of literature (3), names (3), Geography of & travel in Europe (3), East Indo-European & Celtic (3), Geography & Travel - Other Areas (3), Texts of Sermons (3), Rhetoric & Collections of Literature (3), Bibliographies of works from specific subjects (3), genealogy (3), areas (3), Non-Semitic Afro-Asiatic Literatures (3), History of Europe - Eastern Europe; Russia (3), General History of Europe - Central Europe - Germany (3), General History of North America - Northeastern United States (3), Arctic islands (3), Geology (3), Mystery Anthology (3), Natural History (3), Jesus Christ & His Family (3), Folklore (3), Christian Fiction (3), Alternate History (3), Poetry (3), Criminal Law (3), General Management (3), Autobiography (2), Geography and History (2), Incidence & Prevention of Disease (2), Judaism (2), Athletic and outdoor sports & games (2), English Miscellaneous Writings (2), Water (2), General Libraries (2), Humor (2), General History of Africa - Egypt & Sudan (2), General History of North America - Great Basin & Pacific Slope (2), History of Other Areas - Australia (2), Garden Crops (Horticulture) (2), Social Theology (2), General Serials & their indexes - In English (2), Italian Fiction (2), Geography of and travel in North America (2), Social problems and social services: Criminology (2), critical appraisal of more than two literatures (2), General History of Europe - Germany & Neighboring central European countries (2), Groups of People (2), and on extraterrestrial worlds (2), History of Africa: Central Africa and offshore islands (2), Other Literatures: Literatures of East and Southeast Asia (2), History of Europe - Russia and neighboring east European countries (2), Biography & Genealogy (2), Geography & Travel - Europe (2), hydrology (2), Art History (2), General History of Europe - Italian Peninsula and Adjacent Islands (2), Literatures of Other Languages: East Indo-European & Celtic (2), museums (2), Political science: Civil and political rights (2), General History of Asia - South Asia & India (2), Memoir (2), Poetic Books of Old Testament (2), space transportation (2), General History of Asia - Central Asia (2), Processes of written communication (2), History of Ancient World - Italy & adjacent territories (2), Mental processes & intelligence (2), General History of Asia - Middle East (Near East) (2), Miscellaneous writings (2), meteorology (2), description (2), General encyclopedic works - American (2), History of Ancient World - Greece (2), publishing (2), General History of Europe - England (2), International Relations (2), Other social problems (2), Spanish Fiction (2), air (2), Devotional literature (2), General history of Europe (2), Public Worship (2), School management; special education (2), Arithmetic (2), American Literature in English: American miscellaneous writings in English (2), Comparative Religion (2), Political Science (2), Athletic & outdoor sports and games (2), General History of Europe - Other parts of Europe (2), South America (2), Philosophy & theory (2), Literary History & Criticism (2), Civil and Political Rights (2), Social sciences (2), History of Ancient World - Other Parts of Ancient World (2), communication and transportation: Commerce (Trade) (1), Other literatures: Literatures of Altaic (1), Social sciences: Factors affecting social behavior (1), Mythology (1), and book-related topics) (1), Dravidian languages; literatures of miscellaneous languages of South Asia (1), History: World history (1), journals and serials: Serials in English (1), Painting: History (1), American humor and satire in English (1), History of North America - Great Basin & Pacific Slope region of United States (1), Public policy issues in education (1), Outline of sports (1), Police/Detective; Classics (1), Other religions: Judaism (1), Geography and travel: Geography of and travel in Australasia (1), German and related literatures: Other Germanic literatures (1), Social and ecclesiastical theology: Missions (1), American Literature in English: American essays in English (1), related Greek philosophies (1), rhetoric and criticism: History (1), Other literatures: East Indo-European and Celtic literatures (1), knowledge and systems: The book (writing (1), History of ancient world (to c. 499): Egypt to 640 (1), sociology and anthropology: Communities (1), History of Europe: France and Monaco (1), Social and ecclesiastical theology: Days (1), Chemistry: Chemistry and allied sciences (1), Biography & Genealogy: Biography (1), West Indies (1), Medicine and health: Personal health and safety (1), Traditional Mystery (1), and Eastern philosophy: Sophistic (1), Other religions: Religions of Indic origin (1), sociology and anthropology: Culture and institutions (1), & on extraterrestrial worlds (1), Ethics (Moral philosophy) (1), Applied Psychology (1), Language (1), and publishing (1), Psychology (1), Literature (1), Factors affecting social behavior (1), Library & information sciences (1), East Indo-European & Celtic literatures (1), times (1), Birds (1), places of religious observance (1), Central America (1), Description & Criticism (1), Memoirs (1), libraries (1), Ancient (1), Computer science (1), New Testament (1), Magazines (1), Commerce (1), Hyperborean (1), History of Africa (1), Reading and use of other information media (1), Geography of and travel in Africa (1), Geography of & travel in Australasia (1), Sculpture & related arts (1), Old Testament (Tanakh) (1), Relation of state to organized groups & their members (1), History of ancient world (to ca. 499) (1), History of North America - Mexico (1), Uralic (1), Other Branches of Engineering (1), Dialectology & historical linguistics (1), Metrology & standardization (1), English & Old English (Anglo-Saxon) Languages (1), Geographic Treatment (1), Bermuda (1), Stringed Instruments (Chordophones) (1), Geography of & travel in Africa (1), Civil Procedure and Courts (1), Literature of Other Languages - East Indo-European & Celtic (1), biography of Christianity (1), geographic treatment (1), medieval (1), Preordered (1), Socratic (1), Genera Fiction (1), Arts: Galleries (1)
- Avainsanapilvi, Tekijäpilvi, Avainsanapeili
- 75 Books Challenge for 2008, 75 Books Challenge for 2009, 75 Books Challenge for 2010, 75 Books Challenge for 2011, 75 Books Challenge for 2012, 75 Books Challenge for 2013, 75 Books Challenge for 2014, 75 Books Challenge for 2015, 75 Books Challenge for 2016, 75 Books Challenge for 2017, 75 Books Challenge for 2018, 75 Books Challenge for 2019, 75 Books Challenge for 2020, 75 Books Challenge for 2021, 75 Books Challenge for 2022, 75 Books Challenge for 2023, Amateur Historians, Ancient History, Asian Fiction & Non-Fiction, August Is Modern Fiction Month, Barbara Pym, Bestsellers over the Years, Bibliomysteries, Book Care and Repair, Bookcases: If You Build/Buy Them, They Will Fill, Books on Books, Club Read 2021, Cozy Mysteries, Disaster Buffs, His Wondrous Works to Behold, Holocaust Literature, Jude's Reading 2018, Military History, Non-Fiction Readers, Outlander: Gabaldon's series about Jamie and Claire, Reading Through Time, Tea!, The LibraryThing Mock Newbery and Caldecott, The Prizes, Travel and Exploration literature
- May 21, 2006
- Oikea nimi
- Stasia Doster
- About My Library
The books listed in this account are the books I own and those that are in the BlackHole. My library and borrowed books can be found on my AlcottAcre777 account. I now have a third account under scdoster that are the books in my library listed as I am reading them.
My current thread:
"Strange, isn't it? To love a book. When the words on the page become so precious that they feel like a part of your own history because they are."The Starless Sea, Erin Morgenstern
"No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance." - Confucius
"Life being very short, and the quiet hours of it few, we ought to waste none of them in reading valueless books." - John Ruskind
"A library isn't just a library. It is a space ship that will take you to the farthest reaches of the Universe, a time machine that will take you to the far past and the far future, a teacher that knows more than any human being, a friend that will amuse you and console you--and most of all, a gateway, to a better and happier and more useful life." - Isaac Asimov in a March 16, 1971, letter to children at the newly opened Troy, Mich., public library
"A book is a garden, an orchard, a storehouse, a party, a company by the way, a counselor, a multitude of counselors. - Henry Ward Beecher
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all of the miseries of life." - W. Somerset Maugham
"Books are like truth serum — if you don’t read, you can’t figure out what’s real."Freak the Mighty, Rodman Philbrick
The more you are reading, the more you discover and know you want to read. That's when the melancholy kicks in, because you know you never will have time to read it all. - Freely translated from Norwegian by Bente (Apolline)
"A million candles have burned themselves out. Still I read on." - Montresor
"When something is bothering me, I seek refuge. No need to travel far; a trip to the realm of literary memory will suffice. For where can one find more noble distraction, more entertaining company, more delightful enchantment than in literature?" - The Elegance of the Hedgehog, Muriel Barbery
"Sometimes, while she was asleep, she read books in distant libraries." - The Hummingbird's Daughter, Luis Alberto Urrea
"To the whole world you may be just one person, but to one person you may just be the whole world.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others." - No idea who said it, but I love it!
". . .there is indeed a heaven on Earth, a heaven which we inhabit when we read a good book." - The Haunted Bookshop, Christopher Morley
"To bring the dead to life
Is no great magic.
Few are wholly dead:
Blow on a dead man's embers
And a live flame will start." - Robert Graves
"I feel, holding the books, accomodating their weight and breathing their dust, an abiding love. I trust them." -The Girls, Lori Lansens
"[He] was seated beside her with a pocket edition of some classic author in his hand. He never went anywhere without some companion wherewith to improve his leisure moments: all time seemed lost that was not devoted to study . . ." - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Anne Bronte
"In the pursuit of learning, every day something is acquired." - The Way"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." - Jorge Luis Borges
"The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read." - Abraham Lincoln
"Your library is your paradise." - Erasmus
"It can never be satisfied, the mind, never." - Wallace Stevens
"I found that my mind wanted something craggy to break upon." George Gordon, Lord Byron
"A peace offering to a hungry mind" - Hope Summerall Chamberlain
"Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence, from the suppressed introductory chapter of Seven Pillars of Wisdom"All books are divisible into two classes, the books of the hour, and the books of all time." - John Ruskind
My library is very eclectic. I just find a lot of things to be interesting, so I read all over the map. A lot of my books are not catalogued as I finally got them out of storage (after 3 years!) when we moved.
Create your own visitor map!
- About Me
Not a whole lot to say: I have been happily married for over 30 years to a great guy who puts up with my book buying with good grace. After homeschooling my 2 daughters, I decided to return to school myself, so in January of 2012 I began my studies at Bryant & Stratton as a paralegal studies major. I ended up transferring to a 4-year college and just recently finished up my degree.
- Sherman, Texas
- Also On
- Louisa May Alcott, Nicholas A. Basbanes, Charlotte Brontë, Geraldine Brooks, Bill Bryson, Willa Cather, Nicholas Christopher, Charles Dickens, Michael Dirda, Philip Dray, David Eddings, Anne Fadiman, Diana Gabaldon, Martin Gilbert, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Helene Hanff, Thomas Hardy, Kent Haruf, Tony Horwitz, Alex Kershaw, Barbara Kingsolver, Mark Kurlansky, Erik Larson, Madeleine L'Engle, C. S. Lewis, William Manchester, W. Somerset Maugham, David McCullough, Vladimir Nabokov, Chaim Potok, Barbara Pym, Nora Roberts, Nevil Shute, Mary Stewart, Josephine Tey, Leo Tolstoy, Anthony Trollope, Barbara W. Tuchman, Simon Winchester
- Favorite Lists
Yhteyksiä muihin jäseniin
- -Cee-, agatatera, akeela, akosikulot-project52, alaskabookworm, alcottacre777, allthesedarnbooks, anzlitlovers, attempter, BaileysAndBooks, beachnbook, bell7, Berly, Bklvrinva09, bohemiangirl35, BookAngel_a, brenpike, Bumpersmom, bunkie68, Byrappa, cal8769, callmejacx, cameling, Carmenere, cbl_tn, cerievans1, cgray0809, Chatterbox, Citizenjoyce, damejennylynn, dara85, debbaker, dianestm, Donna828, Eat_Read_Knit, eightambliss, ejj1955, elkiedee, fantasia655, FemmeNoiresque, ffortsa, Fourpawz2, GeneRuyle, GeorgiaDawn, Gerri007, girlfromshangrila, HayleyLouise, HelenBaker, humouress, jade605, JaneAustenNut, JaynePupek, jeanned, jjvors, jolerie, Joycepa, June, k8lovesbooks, karenmarie, kateleversuch, keidz, kgodey, kidzdoc, Kittybee, kmartin802, kurvanas, labfs39, LauraBrook, leperdbunny, LibraryOMidas, Lidbud, lindapanzo, littlebear514, LittleWish, LizzieD, London_StJ, LovingLit, maberry, maggie1944, mamachunk, Matke, MDGentleReader, megkrahl, Menagerie, MichelleAmanda, mldavis2, MonicaLynn, msf59, mstrust, MusicMom41, nancyewhite, nittnut, notoriousspinks, nsg0223, PaulCranswick, phoenix718, PiyushC, pokarekareana, profilerSR, QueenOfDenmark, rainpebble, richardderus, ronincats, rosalita, sally906, sandykaypax, scdoster, Sean191, seasonsoflove, Shijuro, SirStuckey, sjmccreary, sszkutak, suslyn, tapestry100, TerraBelle, thekoolaidmom, TheLibraryhag, thomasandmary, tloeffler, ToReadToNap, TrishNYC, tututhefirst, tymfos, veryan, Whisper1, WhiteRaven.17, witchyrichy, womansheart
- Kiinnostavat kirjastot
- alaskabookworm, alcottacre777, Ammianus, AnneDC, annesion, arubabookwoman, atimco, atozgrl, avaland, Bibliotropic, blackdogbooks, Booksloth, booksontrial, bradleyhorner, Cariola, cbl_tn, Chatterbox, chinquapin, Citizenjoyce, citizenkelly, cyderry, Deern, diana.gabaldon, digifish_books, dihiba, drneutron, elkiedee, elleayess, GeneRuyle, girlunderglass, harrygbutler, humouress, Joycepa, karenmarie, labwriter, Landshark5, LaurieRKing, LizzieD, LouisBranning, lycomayflower, mckait, MDGentleReader, meggyweg, msf59, MusicMom41, PaulCranswick, petermc, pokarekareana, richardderus, rocketjk, ronincats, SandyAMcPherson, Schmerguls, sibylline, stellarexplorer, Steve_Walker, TadAD, thatguyzero, theretiredlibrarian, TheTortoise, TinuvielDancing, tloeffler, tomcatMurr, ToReadToNap, torontoc, Trifolia, tututhefirst, urania1, usnmm2, varielle, VisibleGhost, Whisper1, WholeHouseLibrary, wookiebender, xorscape